My photo
PJ's a native of Louisiana - lovea those LSU Tigers and New Orleans Saints - and Sukiey is the kitty cat that lives with PJ.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

NCAA rules LSU signee Wing eligible

NCAA rules LSU signee Wing eligible

By RANDY ROSETTA Advocate sportswriter 


After spending a long summer waiting and wondering, LSU football recruit Brad Wing had no idea what to expect when the NCAA Clearinghouse reached a decision.

So when his cell phone rang early Friday morning and the Australian-born Wing saw LSU assistant coach Joe Robinson’s name pop up on the caller ID, he took a deep breath.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound punter heard what he wanted.

“I said hello and he told me right away I was cleared to play,” said Wing, who earned Class 3A all-state honors at Parkview Baptist last fall as a foreign exchange student. “I was silent for a long time because at first I thought he was joking, but then he was so excited, I knew he was serious.

“This is something I’ve been praying and dreaming about and hoping it would happen all summer long. It’s a huge relief, and now I’m ready to get to LSU and play football.”

Wing’s summer of drama was the result of questions about his academic record and whether his course work in Australia met the NCAA’s standards for eligibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment